GapTek

Information about Computer, Technology, and Internet...

Yahoo! Mail Problem Resolved

Just the other day I had to send a very important personal message to apologize for something I had done and after taking my time (about an hour) to make it sound really humble and actually confer the feeling of how sorry I was, I clicked my mouse on the "Send" button and, conscience lighter, I went about my other businesses. Only to find out the second day, when I managed to conjure up the guts to attempt a phone call, that the message hadn’t reached its destination. After checking and double-checking the address, I concluded that it wasn’t my fault. Not that it’d change the situation I was in, but still.

I chanced upon a Yahoo! Mail Blog as soon as it was posted, and all was clear. There has been a very frustrating delay in delivering messages via email clients such as Microsoft Outlook, Thunderbird, Apple Mail and so on. Apparently, there’s a surge in traffic through the POP / SMTP servers that’s causing the time difference between the moment a message is sent and when it is received.

The Yahoo! team in charge came up with two solutions, out of which one was bad. They thought they had covered the delay with a clever tweak, but they didn’t (and caused my trouble) and as a result of their failure a hardware upgrade was made. Some work has been put into the bandwidth allocation mode of the new servers, so any possible future situations don’t happen in the first place.

… a statement to be taken with a grain of salt. I tested it after changing my settings as the picture on the left shows (the official fix) and out of 10 messages I sent to myself, only 6 of them were delivered instantly, with three others arriving between 45 and 50 minutes late and another being 9 minutes overdue. Not like the initial day and a half of delay I encountered, but I can’t say I’m very pleased with it.


Source: news.softpedia.com

Related Posts by Categories

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 comments

Post a Comment